Little Lies and Massive Dreams

My name is Bear. I play in a band called Talking About Commas and live and work in Providence, RI. I like music.
Free Hit Counter
Free Counter

Jun 2, 2010

Steppin Out with Steel Pulse

God I forgot how much fun Reggae music can be. Last week a friend offered me free VIP seats to Steel Pulse at Lupos. Total last second deal but I had no plans after bocce so I went. I have listened to Steel Pulse since i was in high school and seen then before before so I knew a great deal of their material.

We got to the show and Giant Panda Dub Squad was on - a bunch of white boys playing reggae but it was pretty good i guess. We got some beers and made our way ot the VIP booth. This is the way to see shows. elevated above the crowd, plenty of dancing room and a great view of everything going on.


Given that this concert was a couple weeks ago Im just going to pass along some videos and pics of the night and not really review it much. I can say that they sounded great, front man David Hinds is a great band leader often leading the band through atypical hits in an otherwise typical reggae progression. The band mixed classic tunes like “Ravers”, “Chant a Psalm” and “Steppin Out” with some newer material that I was not familiar with. The packed floor was dancing wildly and was obviously ignited from hits off the bands two most famous albums True Democracy and Earth Crisis (both 25+ years old). So if you are a reggae fan and are on the fence about seeing Steel Pulse when they roll through your town, just do it. You will not be disappointed.


Opener/s: Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad
Venue Info:
Beer sitch: Lupos has a full, reasonably priced bar. $5 sam Adams or Sierra Nevada's are usually my go to.
parking: free street parking was easy to find b/c it was a weeknight
layout:
Theatre with a GA main floor and reserved seating in the balcony
capacity: 2,000 (I'm guessing 300-400 were in attendance)




"Slappin da beyass, mon"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home