Little Lies and Massive Dreams

My name is Bear. I play in a band called Talking About Commas and live and work in Providence, RI. I like music.
Free Hit Counter
Free Counter

Feb 13, 2010

Show: Dr. Dog at Lupos in PVD. 1.29.10


I caught Dr. Dog a couple weeks ago in Providence (thankfully - For some reason most bands dont think of the 2nd largest city in new England – get bent Worcester - as a valid tour stop) and they tore the roof off of Lupos' 40% filled room. I couldn't get any interest from friends so it was a solo mission which sometimes I like, actually. As usual it was a good time, that band looks like they are having a complete blast playing together on stage. It's probably my favorite thing about them. This is the 3rd time I've seen them and they never disappoint. New to this tour is drummer Eric Slick aka “Teach” who is a big time Philly session-man and has toured with Adrian Belew Trio. He's probably the most famous graduate of the Paul Murphy School of Rock and obviously kicks friggin arse. I didnt write a set list, figure'd I'd stay in the moment on this one, save for the few photos and vids I took, but I do recall quite a mix of the repertoire.

Highlights for me included “Aint it Strange”, “Oh No” and “My Friend”. The band also played some new songs (their next album drops April 4th) which slid right in to the rotation nicely. Dr. Dog doesn't necessarily switch up their approach much, the beauty of which lends itself to a fluid and consistent shows. Ive never said “Man, I wish they would stop with all this crappy new shit and stick with the classics” like a lot of bands with at least 5 releases under their belts. The Dog's new tune's are just classics you haven't memorized yet, these guys are great fucking songwriters albeit unabashedly derivative of the Beatles' and the Bands' of the world.


Lupos is always a good time when it's not juiced. Its nice to have some wiggle room. The band decorated the stage with animal heads and plants giving a more theatrical vibe than I've seen them do before. Beer prices are relatively low – I was getting Sam Adams pints for 5 bucks – and the security was 'laxed, no searches which IMO helps contribute to a most enjoyable concert atmosphere (you can read that in a “Ted Theodore Logan” voice if you like). I believe DD is touring the whole country and Europe this spring/summer already have sets at Bonnaroo and High Sierra lined up so check em out when they come around. Which is in May with Deer Tick at the Paradise if “around” is Southeastern New England


Openers: the Growlers, Last Good Tooth <- Providence band


venue info:
Parking: Free parking is tough but available around the venue,
Layout: General Admission Theatre with balcony (that was closed)
Capacity: 2,000 (1,200 w/out balcony)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home