Little Lies and Massive Dreams

My name is Bear. I play in a band called Talking About Commas and live and work in Providence, RI. I like music.
Free Hit Counter
Free Counter

Oct 3, 2007

Rilo Kiley shimmers, but doesn't really shine




Rilo Kiley is perhaps my favorite indie-pop band going these days (although they probably won’t be around too much longer with Jenny Lewis’ stock as a solo act rapidly rising) so naturally I was super excited to see them live for the first time at a classic venue I had never been to. Due to the Avalon’s stupid curfew (its 10pm, then the venue becomes a dance club - lame-o ) I missed both opening acts and arrived just in time to wait for 30 min for Rilo’s set.

The Avalon is a well renowned venue in Boston, that is closing down for renovations in a couple weeks, located directly behind Fenway Park’s notorious “Green Monster”. That however is the club’s only plus. The Avalon was way oversold and I couldn’t even maneuver onto the floor. The main room looks like a Quonset hut, complete with a rounded roof. It sounds like one too. The acoustics in there are terrible but maybe I was just too far back.

Rilo hit the stage and launched into a nice but note for note version of “It’s a Hit” before running through a pleasing at times but mostly predictable, lackluster set. The problem with bands like Rilo Kiley, who create studio masterpieces (in my opinion), is they can’t quite pull it off onstage. Even with the help of members from the opening band, on horns and keyboards, the songs just didn’t have that umph (yeah umph) that the studio sheen provides. All the fifteen year olds cheered like crazy between songs but NO ONE danced. That’s pretty bad considering Rilo has just made a DANCE album. Seriously - check it out.

Highlights for me included the Blake solo number “Ripchord” which he played on a ukelele and the softer numbers like “With Arms Outstretched” and “A Man/Me/Then Jim”. They also threw down a funked out ska-ish reworking of Jenny’s solo song “Rise Up with Fists”. Drummer Jason Boesel was kept at bay most of the night supplying boring “boom chick ba-boom chick” beats throughout. How about a little syncopation buddy? Only on the shows closer did he really let loose like he does so much on the albums. I’m definitely glad I got to see Rilo Kiley though, way more than I led on in this review, buts its only because I like their albums SO MUCH and wanted to see how they worked as a band - and I say Jenny has her red shoes on, she’s ready to go...

Set list: It’s a Hit, Close Call, Portions for Foxes, Paint Peeling, Breakin Up, Dreamworld, Moneymaker, Waves and Wires, Ripchord, With Arms Outstretched, A Man/Me/Then Jim, Under the Blacklight tease > Silver Lining, I Never, Smoke Detector, 15, Rise Up with Fists!!!*, Greetings in Braille**, Spectacular Views

E: Does He Love You?

* Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins cover. ** The Elected cover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home